Sunday, June 28, 2009

My new Braidlocks!





Hello again. After hours of researching (in nappturality and other people's blogs) I finally got my braidlocks installed. While I am happy that I got them done and the freedom they offer me, I am not pleased, however, that she didn't do what I asked. Before I start griping about my experience, I want to say some positive things first. I like being able to spend only 5 minutes styling my hair. I am proud to embrace my nappiness and wear it like a badge of honor. I no longer feel like I'm trying to be something or someone God didn't intend me to be. I feel like my hair, like me, is beautiful in it's natural state. My perception of permies' hair has changed. I used to think of their hair (my former hair) as neat and acceptable and beautiful. Now I see it as broken. You see, in order to get nappy hair straight, you have to break it's natural structure. Weaken it. Our hair is never stronger than in it's natural state. I have been transformed. I have transcended from my former ideal of beautiful hair. Having said that, I will now tell you why I'm not happy with my hair.

First of all, I can braid hair myself. See the photos of my daughter's braidlocks and that will remove any lingering doubt. In fact, I did her hair exactly how I wanted my to be done. I didn't do my own braids because I knew I wouldn't have time to do my own and it would be difficult Before picking out what I thought was the right braider, I called around, asked questions, explained what I wanted and showed her photos when I went for consult. Based upon what she told me, I thought she understood where I was going. Well, she made the part base or grid too big. I told her that I wanted micro sized braids with small bases. I explained to her that the braids will eventually swell and will correspond with the grid's base size. Anyway, about 70% of my head is done incorrectly. I paid her $90 and I still have to go behind what she did and break them down from 1 to 3 or sometimes 4 braids. I'm not a happy girl. The whole point of having someone else do it was so I would get what I wanted and save myself some time. I got neither. The only reason I'm posting my photos is because I may want to look back on this moment one day, but I was so upset with my hair that I didn't even want to take the photos in the first place. I was going for the micro lock look. I can't even find someone willing to help me with my re-braid and my budget won't allow for another salon visit. I'm disappointed. I'll update later. Anyhow, check out the pics.

4 comments:

  1. Although your hair may not be exactly what you had in mind, it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you're very sweet. I'm trying to get used to it. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful. I redid mine yesterday because of the grid pattern stylist 1 used wasn't what I wanted. Oh you mean the locks take the size of the base? Wow that's comforting. I thought they take the size of the braid itself. I personally like thick dreads though i don't know how to maintain thick dreads. Would you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so beautiful. I redid mine yesterday because of the grid pattern stylist 1 used wasn't what I wanted. Oh you mean the locks take the size of the base? Wow that's comforting. I thought they take the size of the braid itself. I personally like thick dreads though i don't know how to maintain thick dreads. Would you?

    ReplyDelete