Wednesday, April 22, 2009

how it started

i like my hair. it took me years to finally accept my natural texture. even the strongest relaxer can't make your hair grow straight. every 6-8 weeks, my natural wave pattern would emerge. i'd rush to get it relaxed again to hide my new growth (can't be seen with nappy hair!). back in 2001 i lost my job and couldn't afford to go to the salon every 2 weeks and get my hair done. it was then i realized something so fundamental and simple but made such a huge impact on my life: God didn't create me with naturally straight hair, so who am i to try to improve his perfection? how did my acceptance of my natural hair texture impact my life so profoundly? i know it sounds like a far leap but being in my natural state felt right. i felt beautiful as i was. i didn't have to alter myself. i felt so empowered and more confident. i tried explaining that to my family and friends. they just looked at me with the "yeah, whatever" look. i am freed by wearing my hair natural allows me the freedom of not worrying about humidity or fear of getting it wet. i take pride in the natural wave pattern of my hair. if i feel like wearing it straight, i can always blow it out and flat iron it. but i don't do that often. i'm sorta petrified about putting heat on my hair. my hair has grown longer than it has ever been. i even started using natural products such as avocado, honey, eggs, olive oil, etc. i have 2 young daughters and i hope to instill in them the love of their own soft, thick, kinky hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment